Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Boehner and the GOPs Reagan worship

"Remember when Ronald Reagan was president? We had Bob Hope. We had Johnny Cash. Think about where we are today. We have got President Obama. But we have no hope and we have no cash." ---John Boehner

   I'm a little over a month late on this, but apparently John Boehner thinks that the 1980s were the time when Cash and Hope were tearing up the pop charts. That or he's making a nonsensical reference to their being alive when Reagan was president and how they are deceased in this present time, when Obama is our president.

   Of course it's probably the second one and he's probably just using their names for a silly punchline. But it does seem like Bob Hope has always been a favorite celebrity of the GOP (I know Nixon loved to trot him out at least). But I love how he glosses over the fact that Hope and Cash were also alive when both Bushes and Clinton were president. 

  I look forward to the day when the GOP shuts up about Reagan. Nothing against the man personally, from everything I've read he sounded like a nice enough human. I do believe that a lot of his legacy has to do with the way he made people (especially Republicans) feel more than any real fiscal conservatism. If you don't believe me then read this nice little summary from the fanatically free-market/small government Ludwig Von Mises Institute.: The Sad Legacy of Ronald Reagan
Note it was from 1988 and the president was nearing the end of his term. People who truly believed in small government saw right through Reagan before he was putting on his shoes to walk out the door.

So here are my two thoughts:

1. The GOP has enough new blood to justify them laying off the Reagan praise and talking about whatever plans they have for the future.............

2. .....which if they actually mention I'm sure will involve throwing around the words "cut taxes" the way they throw around Reagan's name. Which leads me to another point. I don't mind a party that raises taxes, I mind one that raises taxes but doesn't show much evidence of sound budgeting.  I look at Britain with envy these days. Their Tory/Lib Dem coalition government are making tough decisions that should nonetheless put them on a more sustainable path. Smart tax raises and smart spending cuts. The minute I see a candidate who talks about both and means both (none of these piddly little cuts, a million here, a million there) then I might get behind them enough to put a sticker on my car. But if the lack of serious responses to any of the recent debt commissions are proof of the apathy on this matter then it looks like my sedan bumper will continue to be bare.

No comments:

Post a Comment